thinking of spring

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I know it is hard to think of spring when it is still snowing and we are still experiencing 2 hour delays, but I am trying.

I made this bunny yesterday for Libby's Easter basket. We leave for Florida on the 29th and will celebrate Easter there at my parents. Therefore, I am trying to get a few things accomplished early. The pattern is from Wee Wonderfuls and can be found here. I actually put the eyes on the back side of the bunny (whoops) and couldn't get the nose and mouth right, so he will be mouth less and nose less! I had been coveting that Lilly Pulitzer fabric for years, I think seven! I only had scraps left and knew one day I could use it for something. She used to sell her fabric and then stopped. They may have started again, I'm not sure. I think I will use the brown denim that I have to make each of the boys one.

It was Libby's choice this week for the cookie. I am sure you are surprised she chose something with a flower! I don't usually like fruity cookies, but these are delicious. Light and flaky too. I also don't like cookie cutters (too much time) but wouldn't these be so cute for a spring party, or Easter brunch?

Raspberry Blossoms
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of whipping cream
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp raspberry extract
a few drops of pink food coloring

Filling
2 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 TBLS milk
1/2 tsp raspberry extract

Combine butter, sugar, whipping cream, extract, blend until creamy, add flour and extract. Chill until firm.
Heat oven to 375. On a well floured surface, roll out dough, cut with cookie cutter. Place on cookie sheet, sprinkle with sugar. Bake 5-8 minutes...Do not brown. Cool completely.
Beat ingredients for filling, and fill when completely cool.......

I also got set up with my Bloglines yesterday. Wow, thanks to Kerstin for the help and motivation! What was taking me so long?! I was actually checking every ones blogs daily! Now something will tell me when you post? How awesome is that? If you haven't done it, get it done!

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. Those cookies look so yummy! I am not super crazy about raspberry, but I bet I could use any flavor of extract and color the cookies accordingly.

    I love the bunny. I can not sew to save my life, so I am enjoying seeing what you can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloglines is the best!
    Hmm, those cookies look good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute bunny!! bring out the spring please.
    the cookies look so good. I will try out the recipe! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3/07/2007

    the rabbit is precious...i am wondering if i could sneak a couple of those in between now and easter. i have always loved lilly fabric too - i have a set of 5" squares. maybe i should use those for bunnies. hmm...care if i copy you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could put Martha to shame. What a great inspiration for me to do something like that for my two girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3/07/2007

    I am a huge fan of bloglines too! The bunny is really cute. The raspberry cookies look very tasty and tempting. I don't usually go for recipes that need to be rolled and cut either. But with icing inside....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cutie! I like where your eyes ended up too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you through a link at Whoopsy Daisy! Loving your blog - love the cookies and the bunny. Hold on - the snow will be gone soon and you'll be wishing for snowball forts and sleding :) g

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally giggling that you didn't have Bloglines already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3/07/2007

    Yes, when one of your subscriptions is updated, it will be highlighted in bold type. Be prepared to come back from vacation with a huge backlog of unread posts. It's the best. :)

    Your flower cookies are pretty and would be great for a party. (I once brought flower cookies--made from whole wheat flour--from Whole Foods to a neighborhood bash and they were gobbed up in just a few minutes. Amazing.)

    I made some peanut butter frosting a couple days ago. Basically, the same as your frosting recipe but with the addition of a 1/2 c. of peanut butter. So creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such sweet colours on the bunny. Her eyes look fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had never heard of bloglines, till now - could be the best thing ever!!
    I just signed up, too...

    Love the bunny!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3/07/2007

    What springy pics! Love the bunny and cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3/08/2007

    This bunny is so absolutely cute, I'm totally in love with it! And gosh, these cookies! These cookies!!! You have me drooling all over my keyboard here! Raspberries are my fave berries, so mind you, I'll just HAVE to make them! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH can I stow away to Florida with you - you are sooo lucky! I really need some warmer weather.
    Love then bunny, evertime I see your cute sewing projects I get so sad I don't know how to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such perfect photos to get me in the mood for Spring. I love how you made this bunny! I have made the Pointy Kitty before from Wee Wonderfuls. Beautiful fabric, simply beautiful.
    I am coming over for some hot tea and these cookies!! Yummmm..
    We are going to FL too just for a weekend though and then take our normal week long vacation there in August. I hope you have wonderful weather the whole time your down there. I am looking forward to the staying at a new hotel and going out to eat SEAFOOD. Just can't get good seafood up here. Have a fantastic time girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the cookies look soooooo yummy!! btw, you have to see the socks in person to fully appreciate the ugliness of the yarn! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmm! Those look so good! I love anything with raspberries, and what a beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love love love your cookie of the week entries! What a great idea, and so nice of you to share your recipes with all of us. I am building up a stash of bookmarked entries of the ones I want to make. Time to get bakin'!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These flower cookies look great. May I ask where you got that retro-looking flower cookie cutter?

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey patti
    wow. that cookie cutter was purchased so long ago.
    i think from williams sonoma.
    sorry i can't be more help.
    good luck finding one.

    ReplyDelete