hold it

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

First of all, I would like to thank you for all of my vanity love! It is truly one of my favorite corners of my home now. There is something about sitting to put on your makeup and jewelry that just makes life a little more fun! Some of you commented and e-mailed me about my jewelry holder. I really wanted to show you, so you can make one too. I purchased this from a lovely boutique that was going out of business. My dear friend Merrit owned it, and decided to close it in order to stay at home with her new baby. She is incredibly talented and creative. Merrit used this to display some of the jewelery that was for sale. I am so happy to have this little reminder of her beautiful boutique.

It is a frame, painted and distressed. Behind it is a piece of corrugated board, covered in white fabric, topped with a beautiful piece of lace. A piece of wire across two nails, to hold earrings, straight pins for hoops, and clear push pins to hold necklaces.
Believe me, my vanity will not always be neat and tidy, however, my jewelry always is thanks to this!
So, go comb your antique stores, flea markets and garage sales for a vanity to refinish, and find an old frame to make a jewelry holder. Guaranteed to be a good time for any girlie girl!

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. And the best part of your little frame, is that it is the best way to store your jewelry. It give your necklaces much longer lives and keep your silvers from tarnishing as badly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/02/2007

    That is so pretty! Thanks for the close-up picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/02/2007

    I love that! There is something so homey about repurposed items. You've managed to make them sophisticated as well. I am actually inspired to repaint my vanity (you know, one of these days)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/02/2007

    I need to do this. Now that the sewing room is finished, my closet (scary!) is next....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That rocks! I have something I have been wanting to do that with for a couple years, maybe that will be my summer project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/02/2007

    That's so neat -- what a great idea. And your vanity looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5/02/2007

    What a fantastic idea to visually see your jewerly when picking your outfit. Will keep that in mind for future.

    By the way, I really like your red coral and the brown stone necklace (I can't tell what stone it is). They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is ingenious. Thank you for the details.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5/02/2007

    Very smart and very pretty.

    Asaknitter
    www.knittingnutter.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. very, very smart. thanks for sharing the idea with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5/03/2007

    That is very clever. I think you are right about having a little space for putting on your makeup. It is kind of Victorian. I have my necklaces dangling from a chandier and I sit in the bathroom sink to apply makeup. Hmm, somehow not as glamorous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just came accross your blog! I love this, it looks really French!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a birthday coming up.....maybe you can make one for me.....:)
    LOVE IT!!~~

    ReplyDelete
  14. i do not know which i love more, the jewelry holder or the jewelry it contains! you have impeccable taste and thanks for posting how to make this creative project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's beautiful. I haven't had alot of time to surf blogs lately - glad I was able to catch up with you and see your wonderful vanity and Jewelry frame. g

    ReplyDelete
  16. GASP!! this is gorgeous.. and your vanity is to DIE for!!!!!!! Such Talent.. I'm telling ya!!! Ü I don't wear that much make-up and I could sit there all day.. Or .. watch myself sing into a brush...

    shalaaaa laaaa laaaaa... sing with me now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so simple, yet so perfect. I definitely could do with a better system!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to make one. My jewelry is a mess! You are always so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice! Both rustic and practical.

    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous3/10/2008

    I absolutely love it! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous3/24/2008

    Great idea! Had something else in mind but also like this one. Am in process of using pegboard with hinges. Will have pictures up soon. I do love getting tips from people. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really need to make one of these!

    So cute and so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so cute, and I love that Libby made her very own!

    ReplyDelete