my first guest blogger... and i love what she is doing.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hi! My name is Marguax from the blog tentenknits. Leslie was kind enough to have me guest blog and for that I couldn't be more grateful.


We both have a passion for knitting. For most people they may do it once the weather gets cooler or maybe when a gift is needed. For me it is a year round obsession. Bamboo and cotton for summer, a wool blend for fall and alpaca for winter. I am a knitter obsessed. I knit so often these days that I can't imagine what it would be like to lose control of my hands and not be able to do the craft I love so much. Sadly it is something I can't say could never happen.

Let me tell you about Nick. Nick is the father on one of my closest friends, Torry. We met my freshman year at Boston College and I immediately gained an irreplaceable friend and new family. Nick and his wife Debbie quickly became foster parents to myself and my roommates. Her and Nick's generosity to us during those years was incalculable.

I guess it's no surprise years later it is their names that were on all of our wedding guest lists. No list was complete without Debbie and Nick.

Recently, Nick was diagnosed with ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease. If you've read the book Tuesdays with Morrie then I am sure you know exactly what that means. Already ALS has caused him to require hlp doing things we take for granted everyday - eating and breathing.
One of my most popular patterns is the 5th Avenue Infinity Scarf. I had been thinking of making a chunkier cowl version and only until recently did I find my reason to get it done. Go here and make a donation to Team All About Nick. Once you do, email me at (margaux at tentenknits dot com) and I will send you the pattern. It doesn't matter to me what you donate, just do what you feel comfortable with.

I know I can never repay all that Nick and Debbie have done for me during those years but I hope you'll help me raise enough to make a difference in their life and the lives of all those who suffer with ALS.

knit on,
M

. . . . . . . . . .

I really love that cowl. And the 5th Avenue Infinity Scarf, too. I'm in the process of finding some yarn to make the cowl in grey. You should join me!

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. my best friend in high school lost her mom to ALS...truly a sad disease. what a great thing your doing. cheers to you.

    the cowl is perfect...it looks great on you!

    i knit right through summer too...not just a seasonal addiction for me either. i only wish i had more time...some days i just get a row done. but one row is better then none!

    and there are times when i am knitting and i watch my hands and have profound gratitude for what they allow me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first guest blogger!!....and for a very compelling cause.
    Welcome Margaux!- Bravo, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, Alisha and Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea (the guest blogging) and a great cause! I've made my donation...and the cowl is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a beautiful knit up...great color too. good luck with the fundraising

    ReplyDelete
  6. i read this on her lovely blog recently and plan on donating. such a terrible disease.
    i agree to being grateful, it's something to never take for granted. i've knit everyday almost for years and feel so blessed to be able to have this in my life. congratulations on your first guest blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tricia U.10/15/2011

    I'll be joining you in knitting the cowl, Leslie! I made a donation to this very worthwhile cause and am really happy to have done so. I lost my grandpa to ALS 20 years ago and still miss him so much! Thanks for the connection to help with a great cause and knit something so cool in the process! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. one by one we help one another. what a lovely gesture, leslie. and such a yummy cowl!! best blessings margaux!

    ReplyDelete