baby it's c o l d outside!

Wednesday, January 08, 2014

There is nothing more than I love than a snow day.  And one that is referred to as a polar vortex, where the kids are stuck in the house with me, was an added bonus.

We baked.  And baked some more.  THESE were the perfect treat.
Libby and I ventured outside in the negative temps (while the boys watched from the heated house. Oy.) to try a fun experiment I learned from Heather.  
The bubbles freeze almost instantly and shatter when they hit the ground.  We tried desperately to have one land and not break but could only try for about 1 1/2 minutes before running back into the house giggling.  It was SO cold!
There was knitting.  AND a finished project.
So grateful to have a warm home with a day like this to remember.

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. you were brave to go out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i so much HEART it :-*

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun seeing all the freezing science projects that people are getting up to, but not fun to be out in temperatures that cold I am sure! Hope you are staying safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always long for a day like this, imagining it will be cozy and fun, but my co-bakers escape early on in the projects, and the day very rapidly devolve into "Can I play xbox?"-land... and we all fall down. Love the mitts though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the warmth of your cold images.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Leslie, I was out to work and back yesterday when the NYC temp did not go above 9 F. Today was a day off, and I celebrated with an entire day indoors. Vitamin D can wait.

    I really love that bubble experiment. One of the local TV weather forecasters did a January experiment with a raw egg on the pavement ... c.f. July frying eggs on the pavement. The egg froze immediately...he scooped up the yolk and took a bite. Live TV before 8 am can be amazing.

    I've luxuriated in my day off today, in my not quite so overheated apartment, knitting and plotting future knitting.

    Bliss.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chrissy1/08/2014

    I've been a reader of your blog for years at least four or five years. It's great to see posts like these again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh! The bubbles look fun! We make ice candles when its cold enough and the kids are home from school. Then we eat dinner by candlelight and put them back outside to refreeze for the next night. The kids love it!

    http://www.craftiments.com/2013/01/how-to-make-ice-lanterns.html

    Stevie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1/09/2014

    oh my goodness what fun is that! We will have to try it because it's still below 0 here! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a really great day! :) Hope you are ok, I've been seeing the images on our news in the UK, and it looks terrible over there! Stay warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. KnitPastis1/14/2014

    Such a fun day! I love the cold too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got the bubbles to freeze?? They had a whole post on Pinstrosity.com of ppl trying to get the bubbles to freeze in 10 degree weather and it wasn't working for them.

    ReplyDelete