magnolia swirl cowl

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ever have one of those projects where knitting them is way more enjoyable than the finishing?  (All of them?!)  Well, this was definitely one of those.  
This pattern calls for you to whip stitch the long strip together using 5 yards of organza ribbon.  I decided to forego that detail and seam the edges together instead.  All 178" of it.  
I played with this knit and put off the seaming as long as I could.
I made hearts, wrote words, threw it around the kids shoulders and even considered wearing it as a knit strand instead of the cowl in which it was intended to be.  
The seaming took me quite a while and therefore the long strip traveled from the kitchen counter, to the den, to the car, to the bedroom.  Just about everywhere I went, it went.
After at least a week, (maybe two),  it was finished and blocked.
The result was completely worth it.  I love how the cables run horizontally.  Something new and different.  The yarn was beautiful to work with.  The merino, silk blend is really, really lovely.
And, it sits tight around your neck blocking air for those super cold days.

Pattern:  Magnolia Swirl Cowl
Yarn:  Magnolia, #5425 berry, 3 balls
Needles:  US 6

Happy Day!

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. Priscilla3/12/2014

    You do such beautiful work. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie, that's just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty, I love the pattern and the yarn you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol I've had many of those projects and totally get what you mean. Very clever to do your own thing. Love the end result, bet you're pleased with it.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie, your cowl is looking very stylish...the color is a great choice. I am just about to finish off my own cowl project, and thinking about how I will handle that finishing row of stitches, via knit or sew. Don't yet know.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Maybe I can talk my mom into making one of these...for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a saint! I can't imaging doing that. I even converted a baby bolero edging to a knit on border to avoid the seaming of 18" of border. I'm a wimp, and I don't really mind seaming. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. what fun.
    and it turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. adorable! i love that color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3/13/2014

    Never in a million years would I ever get that finished. I actually can't believe anyone would think of designing something with that much sewing. But it turned out great. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, that is a LOT of seaming! And a LOT of patience on your part! But it's a stunning cowl...well worth the effort, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure I would have had the patience to make this, but wow the results are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you use ribbon to seam it or just yarn? I downloaded the pattern. I might torture myself at one point and do this one. It is amazing. Another great project! You always have neat stuff to share!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a WAY better woman than I!!

    ReplyDelete